Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Is this field safe?

Looking at news over the past couple of years since 9/11 and especially recently, it seems that being a journalist is not exactly the safest field of study. I mean, think about it...there really aren't that many jobs out there right now, the pay for the jobs that are available isn't the highest, and to top it off, you have to worry about covering stories in other countries and becoming a victim to a vicious crime of the resident. What is really going on? I have the sincerest hope for Laura Ling and Euna Lee's, two American journalists being condemned by the North Korean government, safe return to the United States. I am sure that no one ever thinks they will go to do their job and never return home to their families.
I think that most important thing to think about though is that, you really have to love the work that you do and at the end of the day, if you can honestly say that, you should not be worried about the shortage of jobs, the low pay, and the chance that you may not make it to the next day. I know that the last one seems a little extreme, but that is the lesson that I am starting to learn as I take new challenges and adventures in life. I am not exactly sure where my life will take me, but I am definitely on for the ride to see where it takes me...I may not even end up in journalism, but I am sure that what ever I do, my life experiences will help me in that profession.
Point blank, journalism is not a safe or easy profession, but neither is driving down the street and going out at night by yourself. We have to take chances in life to get to where we want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment